Freewrite- India

In India, monkeys run free. Swinging from branch to branch, happy and content. They aren’t bothering anyone (aside from when someone taunts them, and the monkey is forced to jump from their branch, and chase the person down until they are close enough to steal something shiny), especially people from the countryside, who are used to seeing jungle animals such as leopards and huge snakes appear in their backyard. They don’t mind at all.

To these people, monkeys are like neighbors, or like the little brother that you occasionally tease and make fun of, but you love them. They don’t feel the need to lock these creatures up, sell them as pets, or use them for lab experiments. What’s worse is, some people think every other living creature is below them. As long as their phone is in their back pocket, and they have their bluetooth earpiece on, no one else, and nothing else matters. They can’t be bothered.

People like this need to remember that humans are animals too. My perfect society would be one where people are one with the environment. Where animals can coexist without places like the dog pound, a cruel jail for animals. But it’s not like we know what the pound feels like. Some people couldn’t care less.

I can imagine myself in the future walking outside my house with monkeys in the trees next to me. I would treat them like neighbors, and let them be. I would have a good honest job, that doesn’t at all involve mistreating creatures with beating hearts (preferably something that fights against it). In a place with no pound, and lots of vets, we would be one with the universe, environment, and other humans. We would all be one with nature, because in my mind, this is how it should be.

2 thoughts on “Freewrite- India

1. What a beautifully written, thoughtful composition. I enjoyed reading this and thinking about the ideas you presented.

2. India sounds awesome .I really like this post its full of meaning I can really feel what India is like in your post.
    -Jane